Thursday, January 14, 2016

Balance

January and February have always been my most difficult months.  This year, so far, has proved no different.

October, November, and (most of) December were smashing successes!  I found BaLaNcE.  Working my proper duty day.  Going to yoga regularly.  Making time for walking.  Drinking my water.  Sleeping my proper sleeping hours.  Happy Heather.

Recently, however, I've been dehydrated.  I've been staying up too late.  I haven't been walking and going to yoga as much.  I've been overwhelmed at work with self-imposed to-do lists.  My poops are not photogenic.  I haven't been my happy self.  I've been SOOO GRUMPY.

I know WHAT I want to blame this change on, but I'm refusing to say it out loud.  I did declare to the world a few months ago that I would not be complaining about winter this year.  HYGGE!  So, yea, the temperatures dipped below 0-degrees Celsius this week.  The moment I knew that I needed to take action was when I squealed furious noises in the garage when I was loading my car before work.  I squeal noises all the time, but not furious ones that resemble bad words.  Red flag.

I am out of balance!

So here's what I've done about it so far:
1.  I gave myself the gift of time:
Took a day off work.
Got some extra sleep.
Went to a yoga class.
Catching up on some of that self-imposed to-do list, and erasing things that are not essential to the cause.

2.  I bought a Himalayan Salt Lamp, with an old gift card I haven't used.
Why?
http://wellnessmama.com/23569/himalayan-salt-lamp-benefits/

3.  I'm drinking hot water.  There's a water cooler at school with a hot button.  I've decided that every time I go to the office, take a cup of hot water.  (I reject the common preference for ice in water.  Even in the summer.  Ice water! Yuck!)

4.  Allow myself the permission to rest.  Even though I need to continue going to the gym and go to yoga more, Chinese medicine says that winter is a time for rest:

The ancient Chinese believed that human beings should live in harmony with the natural cycles of their environment. The cold and darkness of winter urges us to slow down. This is the time of year to reflect on our health, replenish our energy and conserve our strength.

Winter is Yin in nature; it is inactive, cold, and damp.  Remain introspective, restful, and consolidate your Qi through the season and prepare for the outburst of new life and energy in the spring. 

5.  Speaking of Yin, I bought my own copy of "The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga" by Bernie Clark.  And the yoga class I attended today was entitled "Yin-Yang Flow".   I've been researching different things in relation to resting during the winter, Yin, Yang, etc.   Stress and illness is nature's way of telling you that you are out of balance.  (evidently, I was out-of-balance in a very big way the past 10 years or so.  #cancersurvivor)
http://zazenlife.com/2013/06/27/7-ways-to-balance-your-yin-and-yang-energies/

6.  Some other things I want to research but haven't yet:  Acupuncture, Tai Chi, Qi Gong.  Don't know much about any of these things, but rest assured, I will use my mad research skillz to find out!

And on a concluding note - I ran on the treadmill yesterday.  I hate running.  But for some reason, yesterday I wanted to and needed to.  It was weiiiiiird.  Time to buy a lottery ticket.


No comments:

Post a Comment