Monday, July 13, 2015

MRI

Today I had an MRI, ordered by my surgeon, just to make sure there are no surprises before having my surgery.
I thought I had had one of these before, but I was wrong, because this is an experience that I would've remembered very clearly and distinctly from the other tests I've had (Bone scan, CT scan).

MRI = torture by stillness, claustrophobia, and nipple stickers.

I had to lay face-down, topless, in boob stirrups, for 30 minutes, without moving, in a tube of expensive LOUD equipment.  About 10 minutes in, they put some sort of contrasting cocktail in my IV that made me feel SUPER WIERD and unpleasant.  The sensation went away quickly, but holy cow, some warning would've been nice.

The only thing that kept me from going bat-crazy was the rhythmic patterns of the imaging.  About every five minutes it would change.  Mostly simple meter and on beat rhythms.  Until there was the one triple meter one where after 22 beats, it would pause and hiccup.  22 beats, yes I counted.  But the beats were going by so quickly that after about 16, my brain couldn't speak the word fast enough and I would lose count.  I did this for awhile trying to keep up, and finally switched to starting over after 10.  1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10  2-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10    3-2  OH, there's the skip.  22 beats.  Does it do that same thing again?  1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10  2-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10  3-2, yep, it sure does.  They haven't said single word to me since this started?  Are they still there?  They went to Dunkin Donuts, didn't they?  I hope everything is ok.  Ya know, if something happened out there, I would have no idea.  Completely oblivious stuck inside this psychological torture noise machine.

"Alright Heather, you have about 4 minutes left."

OHTHANKGODI'MGOINGCRAZYINHERE!!!!!

So tomorrow marks the first week in 3 MONTHS that I'm not getting chemo.  Woohoo!  I don't feel any different yet.  Made it through the tough part this weekend.  Now I'm primarily physically tired and my hands are annoying me, but my brain is becoming alert again.  Cheers to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment